The customer is experiencing an issue with the FaxMaker service, which is stopping automatically. This problem started after a recent Windows patch update, specifically any of the following updates:
Symptoms also include the following:
- Recurring errors involving Faulting application:'fmserver.exe' and 'icuuc30.dll', with detailed exception codes and fault offsets. These can be located in the windows application event logs:
- Not being able to send or receive Faxes
[Update 17 Jan 2024]
This is still being investigated by FaxMaker Development team, meanwhile, you can apply the following workaround to restore the service (temporarily uninstalling the identified Windows update)
- Identify the problematic Windows update, in this case, it was KB5034119/KB5033910/KB5034127.
- Before making any changes, ensure to take full backups of your system to prevent any data loss.
- Uninstall the identified Windows update. This can be done by going to the Control Panel, selecting "Programs and Features", then "View installed updates". Find the update in question, right-click on it and select "Uninstall".
- After uninstalling the update, check if the fax reception functionality has been restored.
In some cases, a specific Windows update (KB5034119/KB5033910/KB5034127) may cause a conflict with the fax reception functionality, preventing it from working as expected after a server reboot.
The solution involves a temporary workaround of removing the windows update, in addition to the permanent solution in the public Release GFI FaxMaker 20.6.
Can I prevent specific updates from being installed?
Yes, you can hide updates or choose to manually install updates to prevent specific ones from being installed automatically.
What if a different update is causing the issue?
If a different update is causing the issue, the same steps can be followed to uninstall that specific update.