This article guides you on how to set up the SMS (Short Message Service) server to communicate directly with GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) devices to send and receive SMS messages.
For supported mobile phones and GSM devices, please refer to Recommended GSM SMS Devices for GFI Software Products.
- From Programs, access the FaxMaker Configuration.
- Right-click on SMS and select Properties.
- In the General tab, select Enable SMS Gateway.
- Select GFI SMS Server from the drop-down and configure using the following options:
Select this option to detect GSM devices connected to serial ports.
- In the GFI Device Detection dialog, click Start Detection to automatically detect devices.
- Click OK.
If devices are not detected automatically, click Add Line to add device manually. Ensure that device drivers are installed properly.
Click to manually add a line and configure its properties. Specify the following options:
- Communication Port - Select the communications (COM) port that the GSM device is connected to. Click Validate to ensure that GFI FaxMaker finds and is able to communicate with the device.
- Line name – Specify a friendly name for the new line.
- Copy settings from installed device – Select this option to copy the settings of another device.
Select a line to edit properties for and from the GSM Device tab, configure the following options:
- COM Port - The communications (COM) port that the GSM device is connected to.
- Baud Rate – Select the speed in bits-per-second (bps) at which PC and GSM device talk to each other. Check with the device manufacturer for the best baud rate that the device can use.
- Line name – (Optional) A friendly name for the line.
- SMSC Number – (Optional) The Service Center Number given by the GSM network or SIM card provider.
- Initialization String – (Optional) The initialization string used when initializing the GSM device. If empty, GFI FaxMaker uses AT&F as the default initialization string.
From the Line Options tab, configure the following options:
- Receive Incoming SMS – Select to allow SMS to be received on this line.
- Send outgoing SMS – Select to allow SMS to be sent from this line.
- Enable international numbers – Select this option to allow sending SMS from this line to international numbers.
From the SMS Properties dialog, select/unselect the checkbox next to the configured lines to enable/disable SMS transmission over that line.
- Select a line to delete and click Delete Line.
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
WARNING: Deleted lines are not recoverable. If in doubt, it is recommended to disable a line.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
- Click Send test under the SMS Service tab.
- Key in a test recipient number to send SMS to and customize the text message.
- Click Send to send the test message.
Verify that the test SMS is received by the test recipient.