The FaxMaker Configuration app is where you can view and configure fax devices and their associated lines. From there, you can modify several settings, such as:
- Define the line number associated with a given virtual or physical device.
- Set maximum resolution and speed.
- Define if the line will send or receive faxes (or both).
- Set the retry parameters.
- Configure auto print and backup options at line level.
- Define the users that can send faxes using the line.
It's required that the fax device is installed on the server according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- From Programs, access GFI FaxMaker Configuration, go to Lines/Devices, and select Properties.
- Select the appropriate fax device/line and click Properties to edit the line attributes.
Select Add to add a line if no line exists or one needs to be added.
To delete a fax line, select Delete.
- Each Line is set up on the fax device.
- Devices such as the Modems have an additional option under the Device tab. This option is called Advanced Modem Options. For more information on how to configure fax modem devices, please see this article: Fax Modem and Custom Modem Properties
- Go to Line Options to configure the settings required for your installation. See the table below for more information on configuring the fields on this tab.
Option Configuration Max. resolution Set the maximum resolution for faxes sent and received on this line. Max. speed Set the maximum speed for faxes sent and received on this line. A lower speed limit will increase call duration, but it helps to avoid loss of quality when there is noise in the telephone line on an analog line. Local fax ID
Specify the TSID value sent to recipients when sending faxes over this line. This is usually set as the line's fax number. For more information, refer to Customizing the caller ID and TSID of outbound faxes.
NOTE: Some PABX (Public Automatic Branch Exchange) devices or telecommunications service providers do not accept a custom TSID when making outbound calls. In this case, it is recommended to leave this field empty.
Receive incoming faxes Allow receiving faxes on this fax line. Send outgoing faxes Allow transmission of faxes on this fax line. Dial prefix & suffix If your lines are located behind a PBX, you can specify a dial prefix or suffix. Do not dial prefix if fax number is Exclude dialing of a prefix when the fax number is less than, equal to, or more than a certain number of digits. This can be useful when using different providers for local, national, or international faxes. Fax header Enter the text to show at the very top of fax, for example, the company name. Number of retries Sets the number of times GFI FaxMaker will try to re-send fax. Retry delay Set a delay between retries (in seconds). Enable use of ECM if available By default, GFI FaxMaker automatically corrects errors caused by noise that interferes with fax transmission. Uncheck this option to disable automatic correction.
- Go to Advanced to configure the settings required for your installation. See the table below for more information on configuring the fields on this tab.
Option Configuration Auto-print faxes received on this line
Automatically print faxes received on this line.
- Click Setup printers... to configure printing settings.
- In the Incoming faxes auto-print setup, configure how to size faxes for printing or select Nearest size to automatically detect the appropriate size to use.
- Click Print setup... to select the printer to print for that particular paper size.
- Click OK.
Backup faxes received on this line Stores a copy of all incoming faxes in a folder. Key in the folder where to store received faxes. Backup faxes sent on this line Stores a copy of all outgoing faxes in a folder. Key in the folder where to store received faxes. Backup faxes in the following file format Select the format to use when backing up faxes. Number of DID digits to capture Routes faxes to individual users based on the DID number. Set the number of digits to capture. For example, use
2to capture from
Generate beep tone before capture Fax device gives a beep when answering a call as a signal to the user to enter the DTMF number. If available, it is recommended that this option is always selected. From the drop-down list select the tone of the beep. Flash after DTMF capture and before fax tone Only used for Multitech modems. Select this option so that after successfully detecting a tone, the fax server goes 500ms on hook (flash).
- Go to the Users tab to set specific end-users and groups to specifically send fax messages from this fax line. The table below defines the fields in this tab.
Option Description All users/groups can send on this line Allows all licensed users to send faxes on this line. Listed users/groups can send on this line Limits the users that can send faxes on this line. Add... Specify users/groups allowed to send faxes on this line. Delete Deletes selected users/groups from the list of allowed users. Reserve line only for listed users/groups Sets the line exclusively reserved for the selected users/groups
- Go to Line Test to send test fax. Here a test fax can be sent from this line. The Send test fax button will be greyed out until a number is entered in the Fax number to dial field.
Note: It's required to restart the Fax Server service for changes to be saved. Select OK from the Device dialogue box, and then select OK again from the Lines/Devices Properties box. You will be prompted to restart the service automatically or you can disregard and do so at a later time.