This article describes the process to install/upgrade GFI FaxMaker.
- During upgrades, all GFI FaxMaker services and operations are stopped. Make sure there are no queued faxes as these will be permanently lost during the upgrade.
- Ensure GFI FaxMaker is being installed on a machine that meets all system and hardware requirements.
- Log in as an administrator or use an account with administrative privileges.
GFI FaxMaker 19.2 and later offers two types of licensing services:
- Using GFI Account credentials: The username and password are retrieved from GFI Accounts and assigned to the user at the moment of the registration of the account.
- Using a license key: When upgrading to a new major release, users also need to upgrade their license key. For further information, refer to Obtaining a GFI FaxMaker subscription.
- Save any pending work and close all open applications on the machine.
- Disable the anti-virus software on the server machine during the upgrade and re-enable it once the upgrade is complete.
- Download the GFI FaxMaker installer.
- Right-click the GFI FaxMaker installer and choose Properties. From the General tab, click Unblock and then Apply. This step is required to prevent the operating system from blocking certain actions by the installer.
- Launch the GFI FaxMaker installer.
- Select a language for the installation and click OK.
- In the welcome screen, click Next.
- To check for a newer build other than the one being installed, select Check for a newer build of GFI FaxMaker on the GFI web site and click Next. Otherwise, select Do not check for a new build and click Next. An active Internet connection is required to check for a newer build.
- Read the license agreement and click Agree to accept and proceed.
GFI FaxMaker License Wizard
- Select a method to enter your subscription details. The options are:
Option Description Get subscription information from GFI Accounts This option is selected by default. In the Email Address or username and Password fields, enter any existent GFI Accounts Portal credentials or the account used when signing up to download GFI FaxMaker.
Click Login to retrieve the license keys registered to a user's account. Choose a key from the Available keys drop-down. If the user does not have a GFI account yet, click Sign up now and fill in the registration form. For more information, refer to Obtaining a GFI FaxMaker subscription.
Manually enter a License key Select this option the copy and paste an existing license key. Click OK to validate the license.
Selecting Components to Install
- Select the component to install:
GFI FaxMakerFax Server
Installs GFI FaxMaker on the machine.
Microsoft Exchange SMTP connector
Installs the GFI FaxMaker Microsoft® Exchange connectors only. Use this option to automatically create the connectors when GFI FaxMaker is not installed on the Microsoft® Exchange server.
If choosing this option, specify the IP address of the GFI FaxMaker server in the next screen and proceed to install the connectors.
NOTE: Do not select this option when running setup on a machine that is not the Microsoft® Exchange server or the setup does not use Microsoft® Exchange as the mail server.
Web Application Settings
- Choose the Internet Information Services (IIS) website where the GFI FaxMaker virtual directory will be hosted and type in a name for the Virtual Directory (which by default is Faxmaker). For additional information about how to use the web interface, refer to the GFI FaxMaker web interface. Click Next.
Account Name for Services
- Provide credentials of an account with administrative privileges used for GFI FaxMaker services management. Click Next.
Note: If users need to change their password after installing GFI FaxMaker, they can do so for the GFI FaxMaker services from the Services applet. When GFI FaxMaker is installed in a domain, these credentials are also used to connect to Active Directory and retrieve the list of users.
- Click Next to continue installing GFI FaxMaker to the default folder or Browse to select a new installation path.
- Click Next to install GFI FaxMaker. In certain environments, you may be prompted to restart the IIS SMTP service.
- Click Finish.
Note: After installation, the GFI FaxMaker Configuration Wizard is automatically launched to help you configure basic settings. For further information, please refer to Completing the GFI FaxMaker Configuration Wizard.