Users experience FaxMaker Delivery status notifications are being rejected by an SMTP service and receive the following error message:
553 Mailbox syntax incorrect or mailbox not allowed.
- All versions of FaxMaker
FaxMaker will send area code information as part of an email address for the delivery status notification by default. This can result in non-standard email addresses like ( 99) firstname.lastname@example.org. However, these addresses are valid according to the SMTP RFC.
The issue is caused by SMTP servers which don't correctly support all permutations of the RFC specification. These will reject all email addresses like '( 99) email@example.com as being incorrectly formatted.
Configure FaxMaker to prevent additional area code information from being included in the delivery status notification response. This converts addresses like ( 99) firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com
- Open a copy of regedit.exe on the FaxMaker Server.
- Navigate to HKLM\software\gfi fax & voice\faxmaker\config\
- Set the
NoQuotedAddressSpecregistry key to
- NOTE: If using a 64-bit OS, the registry key is found in HKLM\software\Wow6432Node\gfi fax & voice\faxmaker\config\NoQuotedAddressSpec
- If the key doesn't exist, create it (DWORD).
- Restart all FaxMaker services.