The Brooktrout Fax Diagnostic Tool (FDTool) is a tool created by Dialogic to work with Brooktrout devices and test the device being used. This is made to take the place of the faxing software, FaxMaker, and test the fax device and the lines with software created for these devices. This article explains the process of downloading and using the FDTool.
Follow the steps below for using the FDtool:
- Stop all of the GFI FaxMaker services
- Download the file:
Note: It is necessary to use the correct Diagnostic which correlates to the driver version in use. If you are unsure of your FaxMaker version follow the steps in the Finding your FaxMaker Version article.
- Note: It is necessary to use the correct Diagnostic which correlates to the driver version in use. If you are unsure of your FaxMaker version follow the steps in the Finding your FaxMaker Version article.
- Extract the downloaded zip file to an accessible location
- Run FDtool.exe
- If it fails with the missing MFC140.DLL, please install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015's vc_redist.x86.exe
- When the program is opened, there should be several buttons at the top. Click the Configure button first to open the Brooktrout configuration tool
- Click Advanced in the bottom right corner
- If an analog card is in use, click Apply, then close the configuration tool and it should navigate back to the diagnostic tool
- If a digital card is in use, apply the appropriate telephony settings with the card (If unsure, it may be necessary to contact the telco provider). Click Apply, then close the configuration tool and it should navigate back to the diagnostic tool.
- Select the card to test from the drop-down and press Initialize.
NOTE: The FDTool has a limitation where it will not load more than 8 lines.
- The status for the lines should change to Waiting for call.
- Click Tools, then select Debug (ignore the warning).
- To test sending, type a number into the Dialstring field and press Dial (It may be necessary to hit Enter after entering the number).
- Test receiving by calling one of the internal fax lines from a fax machine
- Upon completion of testing, be sure to close the fdtool as if left open the fax lines will be in use (connected to the fdtool) and FaxMaker will not be able to connect to them.
- Zip up the folder ..\fdtool-...\logs\
- Open ..\fdtool-...\config\ and find btcall.cfg and callctrl.cfg and add them to logs.zip
- Email the numbers used to test and logs.zip back to GFI
- If using an SR140, please also run Wireshark during an attempt to re-create the issue, and provide a .pcap capture file for review. This .pcap capture file should be included in the logs.zip file.
- Open C:\Program Files\GFI\FaxMaker\Brooktrout\TR1034\boston\config, by default
- Back up btcall.cfg and callctrl.cfg
- Open ..\fdtool-...\config\
- Find btcall.cfg and callctrl.cfg and copy them to Program Files\GFI\FaxMaker\Brooktrout\TR1034\boston\config\
- Be sure to edit the btcall.cfg file to show the absolute path of the callctrl.cfg file found under the brooktrout directory once copied (not the FDTool Diag directory). To modify this file, open it with notepad and edit.
- Start the GFI FaxMaker services and test