PROBLEMWhen trying to detect the attached modem(s) by GFI FaxMaker using the Auto Detect option the following message is being displayed:
All COM ports are in use or unavailable. Please check for any applications using the COM ports (including FaxMaker Fax Server).
- GFI FaxMaker
- all supported environments
- supported modem
SOLUTIONEnsure that the attached modem(s) is / are not use by any 3rd party application including Microsoft Fax service. In the following steps, a Multitech device is being operated by Microsoft Fax service.
- Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > Fax > Fax Service Manager
- Expand Devices and Providers > Devices
- Right click on the Multitech device
- Uncheck the option Send and auto receive, if enabled
- Open the services panel and locate the Microsoft Fax service
- Stop and disable the Microsoft Fax service
- Stop the GFI FaxMaker Fax Server service
- Open the GFI FaxMaker configuration
- Click on the Lines / Devices node > Properties
- Delete any configured lines and click on 'Detect...'
- Enable the detected lines and close the GFI FaxMaker configuration
- Re-start the GFI FaxMaker Fax Server service
- Open the GFI FaxMaker monitor to verify that the line(s) are waiting for call