You may receive an error stating "user not valid" when using the web client to send a fax or the transmission report contains "you are not a FaxMaker user" when sending a fax. This can happen when a new user is added or it could affect other users as well. This article provides several possible solutions for this issue.
This error happens when the sender of the fax is not configured as a FaxMaker Licensed user in the FaxMaker configuration, or when an Active Directory lookup does not return a match. There could be a few reasons for this and 4 options are listed below.
Add the sending user's information in the FaxMaker configuration, within the Licensed users section.
Ensure that the sending user's email address matches the email address within the Licensed users section.
If sending the fax via SMTP, it is usually the email address of the sending user which does not match in the GFI FaxMaker configuration.
It may be necessary to close the FaxMaker configuration and restart the FaxMaker services if the sending user's email address has not yet been updated in the FaxMaker configuration but it has been updated in Active Directory.
A GPUpdate command may be necessary if the email address has yet to update and there are multiple domain controllers in the environment.
If FaxMaker is installed in Active Directory (AD) mode, ensure that there is not more than one AD object that is assigned the same email address.
If the same email address is used for multiple AD objects, the AD query that searches for a valid FaxMaker user might return a different object, causing the lookup to fail.
If FaxMaker is installed in Active Directory (AD) mode, try adding the
GC key to the registry:
- Close the GFI FaxMaker Configuration
- Open the registry editor, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GFI Fax & Voice\FAXmaker\Config\
If FaxMaker is installed on a 64-bit platform, the registry path to navigate to should be: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GFI Fax & Voice\FAXmaker\Config
- Create a dword value of
- Set the value of this entry to
- Restart all FaxMaker services.
If you find you are unable to make a connection to the Active Directory structure in your environment or there is no Active Directory, FaxMaker provides alternatives to Active Directory, depending on the version of FaxMaker being used.
GFI FaxMaker 2014 and Earlier
- Install GFI FaxMaker in SMTP mode. When GFI FaxMaker is installed in SMTP mode, there is no Active Directory integration and users can manually be added in the GFI FaxMaker configuration.
- How to install GFI FaxMaker in SMTP mode.
GFI FaxMaker 2015 and Newer
- Install GFI FaxMaker in GFI directory mode.
- Read the article Choosing a User Directory Service for information about GFI Directory.