This article describes the resolution of issues that may occur during document conversion, after upgrading GFI FaxMaker. These issues include the following:
- Document conversion fails after upgrading GFI FaxMaker.
- Document conversions fail when GFI FaxMaker Server runs as a service, although it succeeds when it runs as an application.
- Pop-up error message The arguments are invalid when installing the printer driver.
- Error message An error occurred while installing the GFI FaxMaker printer driver. Please check if the printer was installed from the Printers Folder. when installing the printer driver.
- GFI FaxMaker 2013 or higher
- Microsoft Windows 2008 or higher
- The Print Spooler service may not be running properly.
- Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 server, Microsoft Windows 2012 server typically cache drivers in its Protected Driver Store. Uninstalling the driver (even removing the driver from Print Server Properties > Drivers > Remove driver package ) does not always remove drivers from the protected store. For more information, refer to Remove a Driver Package from the Driver Store.
From an elevated command prompt, run the command:
If you find any drivers from GFI Software Ltd older than 2012 make a note of the drivers' oemXX.inf file. These drivers must be removed by following the procedure below:
Log onto the server using a Console Session using the identical account being used to start the GFI FaxMaker Server service. If logging on remotely using Remote Desktop, you must disable your Local Resources - Printers before connecting.
If you do not disable the Printers Local Resource, the procedure below will fail.
Stop the GFI FaxMaker Server service.
Right-click the Windows Command Script fmprinter_uninstall.cmd from the GFI FaxMaker folder, click Run as administrator (even though you might be already logged as an administrator). Proceed to the next step regardless of errors.
Open Devices and Printers. If the GFI FaxMaker printer shows, right-click and remove it.
Open Print Server Properties (which is only visible when you have a printer selected) > Drivers tab > (Select the driver named FAXmaker) > Remove... > Remove Driver Package.
From an elevated Command Prompt, run the command
PNPUTIL -D OEMxx.INF. Repeat the command for each OEM number xx noted in the first step.
Right-click the Windows Command Script fmprinter_install.cmd from the GFI FaxMaker folder and click Run as administrator.
Open Devices and Printers and set the GFI FaxMaker printer as the default printer.
Start the GFI FaxMaker Server service.
**Bounce the Print Spooler Service
Follow these steps to bounce the Print Spooler service:
- Stop the Print Spooler service for 10 seconds.
- Open Task Manager and end the process splwow64.exe, if it exists.
- Start the Print Spooler service.