This article gives information about these services and provides an overview of the directory service types. Evaluate your preferred service before installation since the directory cannot be changed after installation.
GFI FaxMaker can get users and groups from one of two supported user directory services:
- Active Directory
- GFI Directory
- GFI Directory is a directory service to store users and groups that integrate with GFI FaxMaker and other GFI products.
- If this user directory service is chosen, GFI FaxMaker automatically installs and configures GFI Directory on the server during the Configuration Wizard. If GFI Directory is already installed on the machine where you are installing GFI FaxMaker, for example when another GFI product is utilizing this service, GFI FaxMaker setup automatically connects to the local GFI Directory service.
- Users and groups can be created automatically and managed from the Licensed Users node of the GFI FaxMaker Configuration. On user creation, use the Welcome E-mail feature to send an email to users containing a link to set their account password. This is required to authenticate to GFI FaxMaker (for example, when logging in to the web console or when sending faxes using the GFI FaxMaker Client).
- GFI Directory can also be managed separately from GFI FaxMaker in its own web-based management console.
- GFI Directory is helpful when a customer has no Active Directory in their environment or multiple domains.
- GFI FaxMaker server can use the directory services of Microsoft Active Directory when it is connected to a domain.
- Administrators can grant fax and SMS access to Active Directory users and groups.
- Administrators and users authenticate to GFI FaxMaker using their Active Directory credentials (for example, when logging in to the web console or when sending faxes using the GFI FaxMaker Client).
- It is recommended to use Active Directory when it is available so that user management is done from a central location. No additional configuration is required when using this service.