GFI FaxMaker includes a tool to export archived data from one database format to another. This article gives instructions migration tool format compatibility as well as instructions for using the migration tool.
This tool is useful in various scenarios, including:
- When using a Microsoft Access archive database with GFI FaxMaker version 2014 or earlier, and upgrading to version 2015 or later to use a Firebird database.
- Changing your database format, for example, upgrading from Firebird to Microsoft SQL.
- Copy all GFI FaxMaker archived data to GFI Archiver.
Archive data can be copied between the following database formats:
Source Database Type
Destination Database Type
|Microsoft Access||Microsoft SQL|
|Microsoft Access||GFI Archiver|
|Microsoft SQL||Microsoft SQL|
|Microsoft SQL||GFI Archiver|
- GFI FaxMaker Reports and Archive Viewer use the currently active archive database as configured in the GFI FaxMaker Configuration. Use the Migration Tool to ensure that all archive data is included in the active database,
- The Migration tool copies the archive data from the source database to the destination, so the data in the source database is retained.
- Migration of data can take a long time depending on various factors such as the size of the data to migrate, disc read and write speeds and network bandwidth when migrating data to remote servers.
- When a migration process is run and then run again using the same source and destination databases, data is not duplicated on the destination database if the source database is not altered in any way. If the source database is renamed, content altered or the re-migration run on a different server, data may become duplicated on the destination database.
Using the Database Migrator Tool
- Access the GFI FaxMaker Configuration from Programs, select the Archiving node.
- From the right pane, click Migration Tool to open the GFI FaxMaker Database Migrator and click Next.
- Select a source database to copy GFI FaxMaker data from. Choose the database type and specify the source database details. Click Next.
- Select the destination database where data from the source database will be copied. Choose the database type and specify the destination database details. Click Next.
- In some instances you may be creating a new database to migrate the data to. The migration tool will tell you the database does not exist and ask if you want to create it.
- Click Next to start the migration. On completion click Close.