FaxMaker includes a tool to export archived data from one database format to another. This article gives instructions on migration tool format compatibility as well as for instructions for using the migration tool. This article's steps should be used when generic errors are received when attempting to migrate your archive data.
All Faxmaker installations where database archiving is in use.
- Migration of data can take a long time (hours) depending on various factors such as the size of the data to migrate, disc read and write speeds and network bandwidth when migrating data to remote servers.
- When a migration process is run and then run again using the same source and destination databases, data is not duplicated on the destination database if the source database is not altered in any way. If the source database is renamed, content altered or the re-migration run on a different server, data may become duplicated on the destination database.
Archive data can be copied between the following database formats:
Source Database Type
Destination Database Type
|Microsoft Access||Microsoft SQL|
|Microsoft Access||GFI Archiver|
|Microsoft SQL||Microsoft SQL|
|Microsoft SQL||GFI Archiver|
Using the Database Migrator Tool
- Access the GFI FaxMaker Configuration from Programs, select the Archiving node.
- From the right pane, click Migration Tool to open the GFI FaxMaker Database Migrator and click Next.
- Select a source database to copy GFI FaxMaker data from. Choose the database type and specify the source database details. Click Next.
- Select the destination database where data from the source database will be copied. Choose the database type and specify the destination database details. Click Next.
Note: Select a name for the database that does not currently exist so FaxMaker can create the database. If you use an existing database that FaxMaker did not create, you will receive errors when attempting to migrate to this database.
- In some instances, you may be creating a new database to migrate the data to. The migration tool will tell you the database does not exist and ask if you want to create it.
- Click Next to start the migration. On completion click Close.
After completing the steps above, the data from the old database will now be copied/migrated to a new database that you have selected.