This article discusses Call Failed: 46 errors. It will list some of the common causes of Call Failed: 46 errors and types of failures this error encompasses. This article will also list things to review if you are experiencing these errors and what to provide to GFI Support should a ticket need to be opened.
FaxMaker will call any fax that fails from phase B through phase E a call failed: 46 error, depending on the fax device. An analog or Brooktrout device will receive a handshaking error, rather than a call failed: 46 error.
Causes of Call Failed: 46 Errors
Call Failed: 46 errors can be caused by many things. A shortlist is provided below, but whatever stops the transmission of the fax completing successfully can be a cause.
- Older or degraded lines
- Electronic interference with fax lines
- Sharing fax lines for phone use
- One line for multiple fax devices
- Incompatible fax equipment (normally deals with older devices)
- Transmission speeds higher than fax lines allow
- Network congestions if using fax over IP
- Attempting to use digital phone lines with analog fax devices
- Changes to systems used in conjunction with FaxMaker
The list of causes could go on and on. One thing to note is the cause may not always be within the control of the user. It could be on either side of the DMARC (demarcation point - the point at which the provider's responsibility stops and the end-users responsibility starts).
What to Look For When Call Failed: 46 Errors Occur
Verify your FaxMaker and fax device configurations have not changed. This will vary by system and equipment for the fax device. For FaxMaker checking the FaxMaker Configuration > Lines and Devices area for the following items on the Line Options tab of each line. These items can also be verified with the screenshot below:
- Verify the Max resolution is set to Fine (200x200dpi).
- Verify the Max speed is not set to Maximum available.
- Verify that a dial prefix is not needed for your environment.
Verify that nothing in your local configuration has changed. This would include any other resources being used in conjunction with FaxMaker. There have been many instances where a change was made in the phone system at the same time the Call Failed: 46 errors started. This will, of course, vary by system and equipment.
Verify there have been no changes on the provider's side as well. These changes are not usually made without notification, but verifying there were no emails or notifications from the providers could also be helpful.
What to Provide to GFI Support When Opening a Ticket
If using any ISDN devices (other than Brooktrout or XCAPI devices), enabling debug, reproducing the issue, and running the troubleshooter to upload the logging will be what is required.
- What errors can occur during the fax transmission
- Error: 'Call Failed 46' when sending faxes ( Prefix )
- Error 'Called Failed 46' when sending fax ( CLIP )
- Setting Up Dialing Options in FaxMaker
- Error: 'Call Failed 46' when receiving faxes ( ECM )
- Error 'Called Failed 46' when sending fax ( XCAPI )