This article lists the steps to uninstall or reinstall the Dialogic Brooktrout TR1034 driver if it happens to become corrupt or if it has an issue while updating. This would be beneficial to use after a FaxMaker upgrade when the Brooktrout Boston Host Service will not start or at other times when the service fails or the Brooktrout Configuration is unable to be opened.
Both uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers will follow the same steps until step 8.
- Navigate to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
- Look for the Brooktrout TR1034 driver and click on the Uninstall button.
- Remove the Device listing from the Device Manager, if applicable.
Note: When the TR1034 drivers are installed, it will show a listing as Computer Telephony, when the drivers are removed, it may list the device as Other device or Intelligent I/O device.
- Go to
C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\FaxMaker\brooktroutand rename the TR1034 directory to TR1034old (Right-click on the directory and click on Rename). If this cannot be done due to a process attached to a file in the folder, complete this step after the reboot.
- Press CTRL + r and type in
regeditand then click on the OK button.
- Click on the Yes button in the pop-up asking you for permission in order to open the Windows Registry, if applicable.
- Look and delete the following registry Keys:
- 32-bit OS:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Brooktrout Technology HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Brooktrout Technology
- 64-bit OS:
- 32-bit OS:
- Reboot the server. If you are only uninstalling the Brooktrout drivers, stop after the reboot.
- When the server has been rebooted, cancel the Windows detect, if applicable.
- Stop the GFI FaxMaker services from services.msc.
- Navigate to
C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\FaxMaker\brooktroutand right-click and run as administrator the following file:
- 32-bit OS: brooktrout_tr1034.exe
- 64-bit OS: brooktrout_tr1034_x64.exe
- When the installer has completed, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\FaxMaker\brooktrout\TR1034\Boston\config and rename the
- Navigate to
C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\FaxMaker\brooktrout\TR1034old\Boston\configand copy
C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\FaxMaker\brooktrout\TR1034\Boston\config.
- Open the Brooktrout Configuration Tool from the Start Menu, review all associated settings and select Save and Apply from the top toolbar. This will start the Brooktrout Boston Host Service with the new drivers and any configuration changes.
- Ensure that the Brooktrout Boston Host Service and the GFI FaxMaker services are started in the services.msc.
- If the Brooktrout Boston Host Service will not start after this process, check the following articles:
- The Dialogic Brooktrout Boston Host service does not start
- Brooktrout Boston Host Service Will Not Start Causing FaxMaker Error Initialization Failed: 23
Once reinstalled the Brooktrout service and FaxMaker services will start and the faxing service will be able to resume.