When trying to start the GFI FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent service, the service fails to start with the following error:
The GFI FAXmaker Message Transfer Agent service terminated with service-specific error 9994
This article provides the steps to resolve this issue.
Any FaxMaker installation.
This issue is most often caused by a lack of permissions for the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent service.
First, verify that no instances of the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent are present. To verify this, follow the steps below:
- Right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager and select Processes. Ensure processes from all users are being shown.
- Review whether any instance of fmgwinet.exe is present. If so, terminate the instances.
- If any instances were terminated, attempt to start the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent Service from the service MMC. Right-click Start and select Run and type
services.mscand select OK.
If the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent Service does not start, and there are no instances of fmgwinet.exe then follow the steps below:
- In the Services management console, which is opened in step 3, Right-click the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent service to select Properties and then select the Log On tab.
- If the FaxMaker machine is joined to a domain, make sure that Domain Administrator credentials are in use (Domain\administrator). If no Domain is present, ensure that this account runs with a Local Administrator account (.\administrator).
If in a domain and a domain administrator account is not available to assign to the service, create an account with permissions according to the Service Account Requirements article.
- Attempt to start the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent Service after updating the user credentials.
Once the account used to run the service is assigned sufficient privileges, the service will start.