When trying to start the GFI FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent service, the service fails to start with the following error:
The GFI FAXmaker Message Transfer Agent service terminated with service-specific error 9994
This article provides the steps to resolve this issue.
This issue is most often caused by a lack of permissions for the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent service.
First, verify that no instances of the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent are present. To verify this, follow the steps below:
- Right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager and select Show processes from all users.
- Review whether any instance of fmgwinet.exe is present. If so, terminate the instances.
- If any instances were terminated, attempt to start the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent Service from the service MMC. (Right-click Start > Run > type
If the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent Service does not start, and there are no instances of fmgwinet.exe then follow the steps below:
- Open the Services management console (Right-click Start > Run > type
- Right-click the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent service to select Properties and then select the Log On tab.
- If the FaxMaker machine is joined to a domain, make sure that Domain Administrator credentials are in use (Domain\administrator). If no Domain is present, ensure that this account runs with a Local Administrator account (.\administrator).
If in a domain and a domain administrator account is not available to assign to the service, create an account with permissions according to the Service Account Requirements article.
- Attempt to start the FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent Service after updating the user credentials.
Once the account used to run the service is assigned sufficient privileges, the service will start.