After an upgrade or migration or even a clean installation, FaxMaker does not work due to reasons that are unknown at the time. It may not be possible to send or receive faxes at this time. This article gives information about how to proceed in situations like this.
We will first cover some items that can help to narrow down the issue you are having:
- Verifying the Services are started
- Checking the Monitor for lines and activity
- Checking the send and receive logs
Verifying the services are started
- Right click Start and select Run
- In the Run dialog box type services.msc and select OK
- When the services console comes up, scroll down GFI FaxMaker services, there are 3. Ensure they are running, as in the screenshot below.
Checking the Monitor for lines and activity
- Select Start > Programs > GFI FaxMaker Web Interface
- Login to the FaxMaker Web Interface
- Select the Monitor tab and verify lines are in place and initialized.
- Test the functionality of GFI FaxMaker by sending and receiving test fax. We should see the lines orange on the left showing activity. When the test is complete it will show Success: 0 or list an error.
- If the lines initialized check the lines are not initialized article or the modem not initializing article for resolution steps.
Checking the send and receive logs
- In a Windows Explorer window, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\FaxMaker\logs
- When you open either (one for sending faxes, the other for receiving, open which pertains to your issue or both) it will look like the screenshot below. Things to verify are success or failure and date and time.
- Follow the what errors can occur in a fax transmission article for resolution steps.
If none of the above suggestions resolve the issue you are having, take note of each step and what the results were and provide this information to GFI Support when a ticket is opened.
In case you open a ticket with GFI Support, logging will be required, especially if faxes are failing or if you are unaware what the actual issue is. FaxMaker logging can be collected by following the Gathering FaxMaker Logging article. Please provide any screenshots that could be relevant as well. These can be submitted with the ticket you submit in the last section of the ticket creation process.
Once the ticket is submitted, GFI Support can review the logging when the ticket is submitted and delays in the ticket waiting for the additional information that will be required.