When using a Brooktrout device and the Brooktrout Boston Host Service will not start, especially after an upgrade, you start the services and the lines do not initialize and give the error Initialization Failed: error 23. In this state, no faxes will be sent out. This article lists the areas to check when this happens.
Follow the steps below:
- If using an SR140 (ONLY), open the Brooktrout License Manager, from Programs, and verify the license is in place and valid.
- From Programs, open the Brooktrout Configuration Tool (run as administrator)
- Verify the configuration is in place.
- From the top toolbar select options and preferences... from the dropdown and ensure the Boston Host Service Start Mode is set to Automatic. It is Manual by default. This will ensure when the server is restarted the Boston Host service will start automatically.
- Select Save and Apply from the top ribbon
- Start the FaxMaker Fax Server service
- Finally, if the configuration is correct and the service is started, most likely the Brooktrout drivers did not update during the upgrade. Follow the reinstalling Brooktrout drivers article to reinstall the drivers.
Once the above steps have been completed, the lines should initialize in the FaxMaker Monitor.