This article gives instructions on how to remove the Brooktrout dependency from the FaxMaker Fax Server service. This can be required when the Brooktrout service is no longer in use and the FaxMaker Fax Server service will not start.
Follow the steps below to remove the Brooktrout dependency from the FaxMaker Fax Server service.
- Right-click on the Start button > Run.
regeditand click OK.
IMPORTANT: Before proceeding with the following steps, please take a backup of the system registry and proceed with these steps with caution. Refer to the Microsoft documentation for the procedure: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.
- Now that the registry has been opened, expand the following path in Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSetas seen in the screenshot below:
- Scroll down to the fmserver listing and select it.
- The key we will deal with is the Multi-String key called
- You can double-click this key or right-click and select Modify
- The screenshot below shows the key once opened as well as the Properties of the Brooktrout Boston Host Service and the service name highlighted:
- In the Edit Multi-String box, highlight
bostserviceunder Value data and delete it.
- Select OK.
NOTE: These steps were done on the fmserver under CurrentControlSet. They will need to be repeated for ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 which can be seen in the initial registry screenshot under step 4.
- Once these instructions are completed for CurrentControlSet, ControlSet001 and ControlSet002, reboot the server.
Once the dependency has been removed, the FaxMaker Fax Server service will start without error.