The purpose of this article is to provide a resolution for the issue of FaxMaker not working after a reboot. There will usually be no lines present in the FaxMaker monitor when this happens and the FaxMaker faxserver will most likely not be able to start due to a dependency error.
Any FaxMaker installation using a Brooktrout device.
The most common cause for this issue is that the Brooktrout Boston service is not started and this is because the startup type for this service is Manual.
The startup type for the Brooktrout Boston service can be set in two locations. The location and steps to set this to automatic are listed below.
From the Brooktrout Configuration Tool
- From Programs, right-click the Brootktrout Configuration Tool and select run as administrator.
- If the Brooktrout Configuration Wizard appears, select the advanced mode button on the bottom left.
- If the Brooktrout Configuration Tool preferences box appears, select OK.
- Select Options from the toolbar and select preferences.
- The setting on the bottom of the preferences box will show Boston Host Service Start Mode.
- Set this to Automatic rather than Manual.
- From the Ribbon, select Save and then select Apply. This will restart the Brooktrout Boston service with the setting change.
- Start the FaxMaker Fax Server service from the services.msc.
From the services.msc
- Right-click Start and select Run.
- Type services.msc and select OK.
- Locate the Brooktrout Boston Host service, right-click and select properties.
- On the General tab, set the Startup type from Manual to Automatic, then select OK.
- Right-click the Brooktrout Boston Host service and select Start.
- Locate the FaxMaker Fax Server service, right-click and select Start.
After setting the Brooktrout Boston service to automatic, after a reboot or power outage, FaxMaker will continue proper operation.